Dr. Gopeesingh MP is a gynecologic oncologist, and has worked extensively in the field of medicine in Trinidad and Tobago and internationally over the last 40 Years. He was an Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) at the Faculty of Medical Sciences of the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine up to 2007. He served as Clinical Dean of the Faculty of Medical Sciences from 1994 to 1997.
Dr. Gopeesingh obtained an Executive MBA from the Arthur Lok Jack Graduate school of Business and a Masters in International Relations (Distinction) from the University of the West Indies. He also represented Trinidad and Tobago in cricket at an international level.
Dr. Tim Gopeesingh was re-elected on September 7, 2015 to the House of Representatives as the MP for Caroni East, having previously been successful on May 24, 2010 (when he was appointed Minister of Education) and in 2007 when he served in Opposition. Previously Dr. Gopeesingh served as a Government Senator in the 6th Parliament (2001). During the Eighth Parliament, Dr. Gopeesingh served as a Temporary Senator until being appointed an Opposition Senator in 2004.
- Opposition Member – 23 September, 2015 – Present
- Minister of Education- 28 May, 2010 – 17 June, 2015
- Opposition Member – 17 December, 2007 – 8 April, 2010
- Opposition Senator – 14 February, 2006 – 28 September, 2007
- Opposition Senator (Temporary) – 17 October, 2002 – 13 February, 2006
- Government Senator – 12 January, 2001 – 9 October, 2001
- Company:House of Representatives, Trinidad and Tobago